3.04.2010

From the Archives-Document of the Week


This week, I've added two items to the Archives Blog - one is a short essay about Wofford's founding president, William Wightman. The second is a cover letter he wrote in 1827 to accompany his valedictory address at the College of Charleston.

I hope to put the entire address up on Flickr at some point in the near future, and to prepare a typescript as well.

Several addresses in the Wightman Papers merit similar treatment, including the address he gave at the laying of the cornerstone of Main Building, his first Commencement address in 1855, and a variety of letters and sermons.

One of the challenges facing archivists today is how to share as much of the content of our collections, given the limited resources at our disposal. If I spent all of my time digitizing and posting the addresses from the Wightman papers, I wouldn't be able to focus on other collections or any requests from patrons. Nevertheless, gradually adding digital content is something that I am going to continue to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment