3.17.2011

"I had several e-books .... the national security force arrested me for possessing them."

flash-drive

Kim Heung Kwang, founder of the North Korea Intellectual Solidarity organization and former professor of computer science in North Korea, in The Atlantic describing why he left that country:

The books were pretty innocuous fare, mostly motivational titles like Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends and Influence People. “These weren’t anti-regime books, so why was this a crime?” he asks bitterly. “I saw that there wasn’t any hope for the North Korean system. I started to dream of going somewhere where I had the freedom to read what I wanted.” Kim defected in 2003 and arrived in South Korea a year later.

One of the first things Kim’s team created was an e-book called Window to the Global Village. A 204-page primer about South Korea and the rest of the world, it is loaded with embedded video, music, photos, and voice files. The three-gigabyte thumb drive had extra space, so he added a math program for children, a fortune-telling program for adults, games, and a bunch of computer tools.


Read the rest of the story at The Atlantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment